Create great videos that hold viewers’ attention with this helpful video script template. (Available in Word, Google Docs and as a PDF.) Use this flexible template to shortcut your video production and make better videos. Whether for YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Vimeo or any other platform.
Video Script Template
Why Use a Video Script Template?
Videos are an incredibly powerful way to market a business or build an audience. In fact, a recent report showed that video accounts for over 60% of downstream internet traffic.
But for videos to be effective, people have to actually WATCH them. YouTube, Instagram, and other social networks favor videos that viewers watch all the way through. Rather than the ones people close right away.
In other words: the videos that keep people hooked, win.
And a good script is THE best way to keep viewers hooked. To keep them watching your videos. Taking action on them. And sharing them with other people afterward.
Shooting without a script makes for a rambling, unstructured, confusing video. And bad scripts are hardly any better. But good scripts lead to punchy, interesting and successful video content.
This video script template will walk you through my exact process for writing awesome scripts. Whether you’ve never written one before or you just want to save time.
Here’s what’s included in this Video Script Template:
- My 4-part formula: How to structure your video to keep people watching.
- Step-by-step instructions: A fully guided approach for writing your script.
- Proven examples: How a top-performing video is scripted.
How to Use This Template
- Download the free Video Script Template on this page.
- Follow the template instructions to fill out each section of your script.
- Film your video, edit it, and create a video thumbnail.
- Finally, upload your video to YouTube, IGTV, Vimeo or the platform of your choice.
How to Get People to Watch Your Entire Video
Most people know Backlinko for its written content. My definitive guides, studies and other blog posts. But actually, my business relies just as much on video as with text-based content.
Backlinko is monetized with a number of premium marketing courses. Which are all based on video. Plus, the Backlinko YouTube channel has over 400k subscribers. So over the years, I’ve learned a lot of techniques to keep people watching my videos all the way to the end. Here are some of my favorites:
- Make the first 15 seconds AWESOME. That’s about how long it takes most viewers to judge a video. So it’s critical not to bore them in that time. One common mistake: having a long animated logo in the very beginning. Instead, start with a good hook as we cover in the template.
- Add Pattern Interrupts. One of the best ways to increase Audience Retention is to add variety. This is especially important for informational, “talking head” videos. Some great Pattern Interrupts are camera angle changes and jump-cuts, B-rolls, different settings, humor, and on-screen graphics.
- Include Open Loops. An Open Loop is like a quick preview of what’s coming up in the video. For example, the phrase “I’ll show you exactly how to do that later in this video.” Or “we’ll come back to that in a minute.” Open Loops make people keep watching in order to get the rest of the story.
- Keep it moving. One surefire way to lose viewers: ramble on and on. It’s much better to be concise. Make your point. And quickly move on to the next thing.
- Optimize based on Peaks and Valleys. Most video platforms have analytics tools that show viewer retention by timestamp. This lets you see which parts of your video lose people (Valleys) and which parts people like (Peaks). So you can adjust future videos accordingly. On YouTube, you’ll find this data in the Audience Retention report. On IGTV, it’s under View Insights. And with Vimeo paid plans, it’s in the Analytics Dashboard.
- See our YouTube Marketing Hub for lots more video-production tips. Most of which apply to other video platforms too: not just YouTube.