Something SUPER special happened in 2016.
It was a tale of how one app under two names became the fastest growing social media application of all time, TikTok (for global audiences), and Douyin (for China).
In fact, TikTok / Douyin amassed over 2 billion downloads and penetrated one-third of all social media users on this planet in less than four short years.
It took Facebook and Instagram almost a decade to get a user base that size; it seems TikTok really knew how to work the social media growth playbook.
In this statistic roundup, you’ll learn:
- Official Number of TikTok Users (Monthly & Daily)
- The Number of TikTok Downloads
- TikTok User Growth Rate History
- Social Media Rankings – TikTok’s 5th
- TikTok User Demographics
- Top TikTok Users, Categories & Creator Earnings
So, without further ado, here’s a roundup of the most newsworthy and jaw-dropping stats about this social media sensation.
Let’s dive right in:
TikTok Statistics (Editors Picks)
- TikTok/Douyin active users: TikTok has 689 million monthly active users, whereas its twin Douyin (China’s version of TikTok) has 600 million daily active users. Combined, the TikTok/Douyin apps have over 1.29 billion monthly active users in 141 countries.
- Market penetration: There are 4.57 billion monthly active internet users, 28.22% use Bytedance’s video sharing service, the split being TikTok (15.07%), and Douyin (13.12%).
- Number of downloads: TikTok has been downloaded 2 billion times and was the worldwide #1 downloaded app in 2020. Around 75.5% of its installs originate from Google Play installs, while 24.5% come from the App Store.
- Overtaking competition: Considering it was only released in 2016, TikTok was the 7th ranked social media app of the decade (2010-2019). TikTok has surpassed Twitter, Linkedin, Reddit, Pinterest, and Snapchat in monthly active users.
- Company valuation: In July 2020, ByteDance investors valued TikTok at $50 billion, less than 4 years since its launch in September 2016. TikTok & Douyin’s parent company Bytedance is now the world’s most valuable startup, with a rumored $110-$180 billion valuation.
- User growth rate: TikTok’s had a 1157.76% increase in its global userbase between Jan 2018 and July 2020; the U.S. saw a 787.86% user growth rate in the same period. India is the most significant contributor to TikTok installs, with 611 million downloads to date.
- Engagement: TikTok is the most engaging social media app, with an average session length of 10.85 minutes, double Pinterest at rank #2 with 50.6 minutes. In 2019, the time spent on TikTok was a mammoth 68 billion hours.
- Influencer earnings: TikTok creators have up to 100 million followers and earn up to $5 million a year. Popular categories for content are entertainment, dance, pranks, fitness/sports, and DIY.
- US Market penetration: Monthly U.S. TikTok users have now passed 100 million, equalling 37.36% of America’s 267.6 million mobile internet users, an 800% increase in 20 months.
- US Demographics: TikTok’s generation Z penetration is highest in America. 63.5% of their monthly active users aged between 10 and 24. However, American adults using TikTok grew 5.5 times in the last 18 months, with a 2:1 female to male gender ratio.
- US average time on the app: Americans 18 and over are estimated to have spent 1.43 billion hours on TikTok in March 2020.
When Was TikTok Made?
TikTok / Douyin took 200 days to develop and initially launched into China’s App market in September 2016 by parent company Bytedance; it racked up 100 million users in a year. TikTok, the international version, had a release date one year later in September 2017 following the acquisition of a video-sharing startup, Musical.ly.
Douyin kept its launch name in China, and now the twin apps are available in 141 countries, working in 39 languages via the App Store and Google Play.
Monthly Number of Active TikTok Users
How Many People Are on TikTok?
According to parent company Bytedance, the current number of people on TikTok / Douyin is over 1.29 billion monthly active users, up from 500 million mid-2018. The international version TikTok has over 689 million monthly active users (MAU’s). China’s version, named Douyin, has over 600 million daily active users.
In fact, these user figures make the app one of the fastest-growing ever in terms of the percentage of the market it’s captured since 2016.
Let’s break these numbers down.
Global TikTok User Penetration Statistics:
- TikTok has over 689 million monthly active users (MAU’s). China’s version, named Douyin, has 600 million daily active users.
- Combined, TikTok / Douyin has over 1.29 billion monthly active users (MAU’s), according to the latest official figures by parent-company Bytedance.
- Out of 4.57 billion monthly active internet users, 28.22% use the video-sharing service by Bytedance, TikTok (15.07%), and Douyin (13.12%).
- Out of 3.81 billion social media users, 33.85% use TikTok (18.08%) and Douyin (15.75%).
- Out of 3.5 billion smartphone users, 36.85% use TikTok (19.69%) and Douyin (17.14%).
- Finally, 16.49% or 1-in-6 of the world’s population are monthly active users on TikTok and Douyin.
Despite the dizzying entanglement with the Trump administration where nationwide ban threats emerged due to potential security risks, the US has been a vital growth area in both revenue and users.
Let’s check out the current number of U.S specific users.
How Many Americans Use TikTok?
- By August 2020, the official number of monthly U.S. TikTok users was 100 million, up 800% from January 2018’s company figures.
- 37.36% of America’s 267.6 million mobile internet users access TikTok at least once a month.
- TikTok has 50 million daily active users in the U.S., meaning 18.68% of American’s with mobile internet users log in every day.
- TikTok’s Gen Z penetration is high in America, with 49% of teenagers stating they have used the app.
- American’s 18 and over will spend 1.43 billion hours on TikTok in March 2020.
Douyin, China’s name for the app, became the most popular short video app in just 500 days. Launching into China 2016, let’s have a look at the official number of Douyin active users:
How Many People in China Use Douyin (TikTok)?
- China’s version of TikTok, Douyin, has 600 million daily active users (DAU’s) as of August 2020. The number of users is up from 300 million in June 2018 and 250 million in January 2019.
- 64.73% of China’s 926.84 million social media users will log into TikTok (Douyin) at least once a day, says Bytedance.
- By the end of 2019, Bytedance reported Douyin is used by over 59% of smartphone users and 68% of all Chinese social media users.
- Douyin’s 22 million creators have earned a total of 41.7 billion yuan ($6.15 billion) over the past year.
Official Number of TikTok Downloads
How Many Downloads Does TikTok Have (App Store & Google Play)
According to official company reports, the number of TikTok / Douyin downloads are now over 2 billion, and it was the most downloaded app of 2020. In terms of iOS and Android download split, 75.5% or 1.5 billion have come from the Google Play Store and 459.2 million installs from the App Store.
Worldwide TikTok Download Statistics:
- Since its launch in 2016, TikTok has been downloaded 2 billion times, gaining 500 million downloads since the last 1.5 billion milestone, five months before.
- 75.5% of all 2 billion downloads originate from Google Play at 1.5 billion installs, while 24.5% come from Apple’s App Store, which generated 495.2 million installs.
- Overall, 44% of TikTok’s downloads occurred in 2019, totaling 738 million installs.
- TikTok was downloaded more than Facebook, Messenger, and Instagram in 2019, with WhatsApp being the only app to beat it.
- In Q1 2020, TikTok gained 315 million installs, breaking records for the most downloads ever in a quarter, and continued to be the most downloaded app of the year.
- In March 2020, TikTok also broke another record with 115.2 million installs in 31 days. By comparison, Instagram averaged 111.5 million downloads per quarter.
As we can see from the above figures, TikTok amassed most of its downloads in 2019-2020, in turn causing a meteoric rise in monthly active users and revenue.
Besides the advertising campaigns and pandemic, there were some key countries and territories behind the sudden leap of installations:
Top TikTok Downloads by Country (USA/China/Global)
- TikTok & Douyin is now in 141 of 155 countries available and comes in 39 languages.
- India is the most significant contributor to TikTok installs, with 611 million downloads to date, one-third of all smartphone users in India have downloaded TikTok.
- In 2019, 323 million TikTok downloads came from India, 43.76% of the 738 million global installs that year.
- China is the second-largest country for downloads for Douyin at 196.6 million to date; figures exclude third-party installs.
- The United States is the third-largest country for downloads, accumulating 165 million installs since launch, followed by Canada and the UK in the 4th and 5th place.
Top 10 Apps by All-Time Downloads (2010-2019)
According to AppAnnie, ByteDance’s app managed to rank #7 for all-time downloads. Not bad considering they launched two thirds into the decade the measurement was taken from!
|2||Facebook Messenger||United States|
|3||WhatsApp Messenger||United States|
|8||UC Browser||Alibaba Group||China|
TikTok User Growth Rate Statistics
US & Global Monthly Active User Growth Rates
According to parent company Bytedance, TikTok’s global monthly users have grown 1,157.76% since January 2018, where it had 54.7 million users. In the US, the app has seen a 787.86% increase in users within the same period, going from 11.2 to over 100 million active users.
Official Monthly Active User Growth (Worldwide)
According to company filings, these are the latest figures highlighting its 1,157.76% growth since 2017 for TikTok’s international app (excluding Douyin, which is covered below).
- Sep 2017: TikTok international launch.
- Jan 2018: 54,793,729 monthly users.
- Dec-18: 271,188,301 – (394.9% increase).
- Dec-19: 507,552,660 – (87.2% increase).
- Jul-20: 689,174,209 – (35.8% increase).
Official Monthly Active User Growth (USA Only)
According to company filings for the US market, these are the latest figures highlighting its 787.86% growth since 2017 for TikTok’s international app.
- Sep 2017: TikTok international launch.
- Jan 2018: 11,262,970 monthly users.
- Feb 2019: 26,739,143 – 137.4% increase.
- Oct 2019: 39,897,768 – 19.2% increase.
- Jun 2020: 91,937,040 – 130.4% increase.
- Aug 2020: More than 100 million.
Douyin Monthly Active User Growth (China Only)
According to a spokesperson from Bytedance, Douyin’s figures highlight its 500% growth since 2016 for TikTok’s Chinese version of the app.
- Sep 2016: Douyin launches in China.
- Sep 2017: 100 million monthly users.
- Jan 2018: 250 million – 150% increase.
- Jan 2019: 400 million – 60% increase.
- Aug 2020: 600 million – 50% increase.
It’s no doubt that Bytedance’s app has crushed it, but it’s impressive how much. Since launching in 2016, TikTok has surpassed these social network startups in monthly active users, and these guys had a HUGE head start:
- Twitter – Launched in 2006 – 340 million active users
- Linkedin– Launched in 2003 – 310 million active users
- Reddit– Launched in 2005 – 430 million active users
- Pinterest– Launched in 2010 – 322 million active users
- Snapchat– Launched in 2011 – 382 million active users
According to the data website Alexa, TikTok is now the 165th most visited website in the world too.
TikTok Revenue Growth & How Much it’s Worth
- TikTok brought in $17 billion in 2019, a sizable revenue increase of over double the previous year’s $7.4 billion in 2018.
- In just under four years since the launch in September 2016, ByteDance investors valued TikTok / Douyin at $50 billion in July 2020.
- With a rumored valuation of $110-$180 billion, TikTok & Douyin’s parent company Bytedance is now the world’s most valuable startup.
- In 2019, TikTok more than doubled its revenue to $17 billion, up from $7.4 billion the previous year.
Most Used Social Media Sites
Where Does TikTok Rank in Social Media Popularity?
In 2020, TikTok has risen to be the 5th ranked social network worldwide, with over 1.29 billion users shared between the app itself and China only version Douyin. ByteDance’s video-sharing app has surpassed Instagram’s latest figures of 1 billion users, knocking another Facebook owned network from the top.
|Social Network||Active Users (Million)|
|Douyin / Tik Tok||1290|
|Weixin / WeChat||1151|
Key TikTok User Demographics
How Much Time do People Spend on TikTok?
Globally, the average time spent on TikTok per day is 52 minutes, with 90% of users accessing it on a daily basis. Its average session time of 10.85 minutes makes it the most engaging social media app available today. In the US, on average TikTok users spend 46 minutes per day using the app, opening the service 8 times a day on average.
Engagement: Average Time Spent on TikTok
- The average time spent on TikTok per day is 52 minutes worldwide.
- Time spent on TikTok is skyrocketing too. In 2019, it saw a 210% year-over-year increase in engagement time on the app.
- In 2019, the time spent on TikTok was estimated to be 68 billion hours.
Engagement: TikTok User Interaction Statistics
- TikTok is the most engaging social media app out, with an average session length of 10.85 minutes (Double Pinterest’s 50.6 minutes that ranks #2 for engagement).
- The average person in the United States will open the TikTok app 8 times a day.
- TikTok engagement in the U.S. has increased by 1,533% between 2017 to September 2019. In comparison, Facebook declined 26% in the same period, and Instagram inched up by only 6%.
- Advertising brands need to pay attention – TikTok has an engagement rate of 5.30% on accounts with 100,000+ followers, compared to Instagram 1.10% and Twitter 0.30%
- In a recent Influencer Marketing Hub study, TikTok user profiles with 100,000+ followers have the highest engagement.
Average engagement rate in 2019 by followers
Demographics: TikTok Users by Age
Even though more adults adopt the app, only 15% of their user base is aged 35 and over. In fact, 69% of TikTok users are aged 13-24, with over 30% of its user base being Gen Z (born 1997-2012).
Here’s a full breakdown:
- 27% of people aged 13-17 have active accounts.
- 42% of people aged 18-24 have active accounts.
- 16% of people aged 25-34 have active accounts.
- 8% of people aged 35-44 have active accounts.
- 3% of people aged 45-54 have active accounts.
- 4% of people aged 55+ have active accounts.
In the U.S., TikTok is still dominant with generation Z. 60% of America’s monthly active users are aged between 16 and 24, according to parent company Bytedance.
Other U.S. specific figures suggest that 63.5% of the monthly active users are aged 10-24 years old – with a staggering 52% being iPhone owners.
Between 2018-2020, the number of American adults using TikTok grew 5.5 times.
Demographics: TikTok Users by Gender
Recent gender demographics in 2020 show TikTok skews 60% of females, and 40% of males use the app worldwide. In the United States, however, female users outnumber males 2:1.
Top TikTok Users, Categories & Creator Earnings
The most-followed TikTok user is Charli D’Amelio, with over 90 million followers, which pretty much doubled in 2020 as she passed the previous #1, Loren Gray, in March earlier that year.
TOP 10: Popular TikTok Users/Channel Creators
Next year we should see this list drastically shaken up; the top 10 was only creators in 2019. Now celebrities like Will Smith & Jason Derulo have entered the pack, and monster influencers like The Rock, who has 200 million Instagram followers, are not far behind climbing the top 20.
Here are the exact follower numbers:
Let’s take a look at how much the creators make with that number of followers:
TikTok User Earnings
How much do TikTokers make?
You can make money with TikTok’s virtual currency via ‘Gifting.’ A TikToker with 500,000 followers and high engagement, likes, and comments in their video can expect around $450 a month in gifts to redeem as cash.
Other standard influencer marketing monetization methods include:
- Brand partnerships for content creation – Earning $50-150k for top TikTokers.
- Get paid to attend brand events.
- Cross promoting another influencer or brand channel.
- Selling merchandise or launching your own service/location/music etc.
What about brands?
It’s worth mentioning that in June 2020, they launched the ability for brands to run their own ads within the video-sharing giants’ app.
Now they have an established advertising platform like their peers; we can expect to see colossal growth in the company’s revenue and the value of parent company Bytedance.
So, where is all the action happening?
Let’s take a look at the top video-sharing platform by category views.
TOP 10: TikTok Content Categories
Here’s a table with all the numbers:
|Life hacks/advice etc.||8.3|
If you want to get seen, you’re going to need the right hashtags to boost engagement.
10 Best TikTok Hashtags in terms of popularity
- # tiktok.
- # love.
- # funny.
- # memes.
- # followme.
- # cute.
- # fun.
- # music.
- # happy.
- # fashion.
These are the top hashtags used today in terms of popularity, however, you’ll get lost in the sheer number of posts.
If you’re looking to get noticed, you should use category-focused hashtags and keep an eye on trending ones too, InfluencerMarketingHub has a great guide.
That’s a wrap for my roundup of TikTok and Douyin statistics.
The stat that knocked my socks off was the fact Bytedance’s apps grew their monthly users at twice the rate of current market leaders like Facebook and Instagram – I can’t wait to see how this growth rate unfolds.
Now I’d like to hear from you:
Do you think their growth is sustainable? What else would you like to see added to this roundup? Or have a question?
Either way, please jump in and leave a comment below.