Amazon Prime launched in 2005 as an Amazon membership service offering free two-day shipping.
It gained limited customer traction during the first years, but after 2011 it started quickly taking off and now has more than 200 million members across 19 countries.
Prime membership has evolved and now includes streaming, shopping, reading, and other benefits besides free shipping.
You’ll find out the latest information about Amazon Prime growth and usage data in this roundup. After reading these stats, you’ll better understand how Amazon manages to register over $25 billion from subscription fees alone.
Here’s a breakdown of what we’ll cover:
- Amazon Prime Usage Statistics (Top Picks)
- Global Amazon Prime Subscribers
- US Amazon Prime Subscribers
- Amazon Prime Day Sales
- Best-selling items on Amazon during Prime Day
- Amazon Prime revenue
- How many countries have Amazon Prime?
Important Amazon Prime Stats
- Amazon has over 200 million Prime members.
- Sales during Prime Day on Amazon reached $11.79 billion in 2021.
- Amazon Prime is available in 22 countries as of October 2021.
- Amazon registers $25.21 billion in annual revenue from retail subscription fees.
Global Amazon Prime Subscribers
Amazon announced that they currently have over 200 million Amazon Prime subscribers around the world. They also report that Amazon Prime delivers “$126 billion of value creation” due to time saved by customers using the service.
Amazon doubled its Prime subscriber base since early 2018, from 100 million to over 200 million.
|Date||Paying Amazon Prime members|
|Q1 2018||100 million|
|Q4 2019||150 million|
|Q1 2021||200 million|
US Amazon Prime Subscribers
Amazon has 148.6 million Amazon Prime Members in the US. An increase of 49.05% from 99.7 million in 2017.
Overall, the US accounts for 74.% of all Amazon Prime subscriptions.
Based on eMarketer forecasts, the number of Amazon Prime users in the US is expected to reach 157.4 million by 2023.
Here’s the table with Amazon Prime user growth in the US:
|Year||Number of users|
Amazon Prime Day Sales
Launched in 2015, Prime Day is an annual deal event available exclusively to Prime members.
Sales on Amazon during Prime Day reached $11.19 billion in 2021. An increase of 7.7% from $10.39 billion a year earlier.
And sales during 2021 Prime Day were 4.64x higher than the same event held in 2017.
Here’s the table on sales growth of Amazon Prime Day since 2015:
|Year||Gross sales on Amazon during Prime Day|
Source: Digital Commerce 360
eMarketer also covers data on Amazon Prime Day sales performance, providing slightly different estimates.
Based on eMarketer findings, sales on Amazon during Prime Day reached $11.79 billion in 2021.
eMarketer also estimates that Prime Day sales have grown by 185.47% compared to the 2018 event.
Here’s the table with Amazon Prime Day sales growth since 2016:
|Year||Gross sales on Amazon during Prime Day (worldwide)|
62% ($7.31 billion) of total Prime Day sales represented revenue from the US market, while the remaining 38% ($4.48 billion) originated from international markets in 2021.
Here’s a table with Amazon Prime Day sales growth in the US, including share since 2016:
|Year||Gross sales on Amazon during Prime Day in the US|
Here’s a table with Amazon Prime Day sales growth in non-US, including share since 2016:
|Year||Gross sales on Amazon during Prime Day in non-US|
During 2021 Amazon Prime Day, Amazon Prime members worldwide purchased over 250 million items.
Top-selling products worldwide for Prime Day 2021 included iRobot Roomba 692 Robot Vacuum, Keurig K-Slim Coffee Maker, Apple Cider Vinegar Gummy Vitamins by Goli Nutrition, and Crest 3D White Professional Effects Whitestrips.
Fire TV Stick 4K was the most commonly purchased Amazon device during the two-day event.
Amazon Prime revenue
Amazon Prime revenue cannot be entirely isolated from Amazon’s overall revenue. However, Amazon does disclose the net sales of all subscription services, including Amazon Prime-related membership fees, digital video, audiobooks, digital music, e-books, and other subscription services (excluding AWS).
Here’s a breakdown of Amazon’t subscription services revenue:
|Year||Annual net sales of subscription services|
How many countries have Amazon Prime ?
Amazon Prime is currently available in 22 countries.
Here’s the table with international expansion milestones of Amazon Prime since 2007:
|Country||Year of Amazon Prime launch|
|Germany, Japan, United Kingdom||2007|
That just about wraps up my Amazon Prime growth statistics.
While Amazon is a publicly-traded company, the information they provide on their membership program is relatively limited. I’ve done my best to provide you with a comprehensive overview of Amazon Prime user and revenue data in one place.
Now I’d like to hear from you:
Any questions or comments about this collection of Amazon Prime statistics? Or maybe there’s something missing from this page?
Either way, feel free to leave a comment below.