Disney+ launched in November 2019. 10 million users signed up for the service on its first day.
The streaming platform was initially available in 3 countries: the United States, Canada, and the Netherlands. Disney+ has quickly expanded into other international markets, and now serves subscribers in 59 countries.
Today, the global Disney+ subscriber base totals 100 million customers, far surpassing Disney’s initial expectations of 60-90 million subscribers by 2024.
Continue reading to find all of the latest Disney+ statistics for 2023.
Let’s dive right into the data:
- Important Disney+ Subscriber Stats
- Disney+ subscribers worldwide
- Disney+ US subscription revenue
- Disney+ average revenue per user
- Disney+ subscriber retention rate
- Are monthly or annual subscriptions more popular on Disney+?
- Disney+ share of SVOD streaming
- Disney+ market share of SVOD signups
- Disney+ market share of subscriptions
- Disney+ share of net subscriber additions
- Disney+ gender demographics
- Disney+ age demographics
- Disney+ subscriber political affiliation
- Disney+ subscribers by location
- Race demographics of Disney+ subscribers
- Disney+ subscribers by income brackets
- What share of Disney+ subscribers have children?
- How many titles are available on Disney+?
- How much of the content on Disney+ is exclusive?
- What share of original TV shows air on Disney+?
- Disney+ app downloads
Important Disney+ Subscriber Stats
- Disney+ has 100 million paying subscribers across 59 countries. That’s up from 33.5 million in March last year.
- Disney+ has an 18% share of subscription video on demand (SVOD) subscriptions in the US.
- In the final quarter of 2020, Disney+ accounted for 6% of all subscription streaming time in the US.
- 65% of US households with a Disney+ subscription don’t live with children.
- 89% of content on Disney+ is exclusive. No other major streaming service has a higher proportion of exclusive content.
Disney+ subscribers worldwide
Disney+ currently has 100 million paying subscribers across 59 countries.
The streaming service added 66.5 million new subscribers during the last year alone (March 2020 – March 2021).
Here’s a table showing Disney+ global subscriber growth since November 2019:
|November 2019||10 million|
|December 2019||26.5 million|
|February 2020||28.6 million|
|March 2020||33.5 million|
|April 2020||50 million|
|May 2020||54.5 million|
|June 2020||57.5 million|
|August 2020||60.5 million|
|October 2020||73.7 million|
|December 2020||86.8 million|
|January 2021||94.9 million|
|March 2021||100 million|
Disney+ US subscription revenue
Disney+ brings in an estimated $2.87 billion per year from the US subscriber base. That’s an increase of 47.39% since 2020 when US revenue stood at $1.94 billion.
Forecasts suggest that Disney+ subscription revenue in the US will grow at the same rate this year, reaching $4.23 billion by 2022.
Here’s a breakdown of estimated annual Disney+ US subscription revenue since 2019:
Disney+ average revenue per user
Disney+ reports an average monthly revenue of $4.03 per Disney+ subscriber. That’s a decrease of 27.52% since December 2019, when the average subscriber generated $5.56 per month.
The decrease in average revenue per user can be attributed to the international expansion of Disney+. In some regions, pricing is significantly lower than in the US or Western Europe.
Here’s a table with Disney+ average revenue per user since December 2019:
|Date||Average revenue per user|
Disney+ subscriber retention rate
78% of Disney+ Bundle subscribers retain their subscriptions after 6 months. In fact, the Disney+ Bundle has the highest 6-month customer retention rate of all major streaming services.
Among monthly subscribers to the basic Disney+ package (without access to Hulu and ESPN+), 74% continue to pay for the service after 6 months. This is comparable with competitors: Netflix also has a 74% retention rate, while Hulu retains 67% of customers after 6 months.
Source: Second Measure.
Are monthly or annual subscriptions more popular on Disney+?
20% of new Disney+ subscribers choose an annual plan ($69.99, as of January 2021). The remaining 80% of new signups opt for monthly billing, at a price of $6.99.
The share of subscribers going for annual billing has increased in recent months, up from 12% in October 2020.
We’ve charted the relative popularity of Disney+ payment plans since October 2020:
|Date||Monthly, annual share|
|October 2020||88%, 12%|
|November 2020||81%, 19%|
|December 2020||80%, 20%|
|January 2021||80%, 20%|
Disney+ share of SVOD streaming
Among top subscription video on demand providers in the US, Disney+ accounts for 6% of all streaming. That’s up from 5% in the previous quarter (Q3 2020).
Disney+ market share of SVOD signups
Disney+ claimed 13% of all new subscription video on demand signups in January 2021 (including free trials). In the previous month, the platform accounted for 19% of total SVOD signups.
Here’s a table with the Disney+ share of monthly SVOD signups since July 2020:
|Date||Market share of signups|
Disney+ market share of subscriptions
Disney+ accounts for 18% of US subscriptions to video on demand services. The platform has increased its market share in the last year, up from 15% in the final quarter of 2019.
Ranked by the share of subscriptions in the US, Disney+ is the 3rd most popular subscription video streaming service. Only Hulu (20%) and Netflix (34%) possess more of the market.
The below table shows the growth of the Disney+ market share over time:
|Date||Share of US subscriptions|
Disney+ share of net subscriber additions
In 2020, Disney+ claimed 32% of all net subscriber additions among major subscription video streaming platforms. No other platform added more net subscribers. HBO Max contributed the next most net subscriber additions, accounting for 22% of total net additions.
Disney+ gender demographics
A February 2021 survey by Morning Consult found that male subscribers make up 52% of the Disney+ customer base in the US. The remaining 48% of subscribers are female.
Among new US Disney+ subscribers in October 2020, 57% were female.
Disney+ age demographics
Combined, Millennials and Generation Z make up 64% of Disney+ subscribers in the US.
Here’s a breakdown of the Disney+ subscriber base in the US by generation:
Among Disney+ viewers who signed up for the service during October 2020, 64% were 35 or older.
Here’s a table with the age group breakdown of Disney+ subscribers in the US:
Disney+ subscriber political affiliation
Nearly half (44%) of Disney+ subscribers in the US identify as supporters of the Democratic Party. 23% of subscribers are Republicans.
Here’s a table showing political party affiliation among Disney+ subscribers in the US:
Source: Morning Consult.
Disney+ subscribers by location
The single largest location demographic among Disney+ users is suburban communities, accounting for 42% of subscribers. People living in urban and suburban areas make up a combined 80% of Disney+ subscribers.
Here’s a table with the breakdown of Disney+ subscribers by location category:
Source: Morning Consult.
Race demographics of Disney+ subscribers
62% of Disney+ subscribers in the US are white. The streaming service has the highest proportion of non-white subscribers among all its major competitors.
We’ve charted the race demographics of Disney+ subscribers in the US:
|Asian, other race or ethnicity||5%|
Source: Morning Consult.
Disney+ subscribers by income brackets
77% of Disney+ subscribers in the US make less than $100,000 per year.
Here’s a breakdown of Disney+ subscribers in the US, sorted by annual income:
|Less than $50,000||43%|
|$50,000 – $100,000||34%|
|More than $100,000||23%|
What share of Disney+ subscribers have children?
35% of American Disney+ subscribers live in households with children. The average across all streaming services is 32%.
How many titles are available on Disney+?
Disney+ has 2,012 movies and TV shows in its content library (as of January 2021).
There are 1254 movies on Disney+, accounting for 62.33% of the total catalog. The remaining 758 titles (37.67%) are TV shows.
Source: Ampere Analytics.
How much of the content on Disney+ is exclusive?
89% of content on Disney+ is exclusive (not available on any other US streaming service). That’s the highest share of exclusive content among all major US streaming providers.
For comparison, the Netflix library is made up of 83% exclusive content. 72% of HBO Max content is exclusive.
What share of original TV shows air on Disney+?
Disney+ claims a 15% share of all original TV shows among subscription video on demand services. Its share has nearly doubled in the last year, up from 8% in January 2020.
Disney+ app downloads
In February 2021, the Disney+ mobile app was downloaded 10 million times across Android & iOS. 70% of downloads (7 million) came from the Google Play store, while the remaining 30% (3 million) were from the App Store.
In its first year, the Disney+ mobile app was downloaded 100 million times worldwide (excluding India). Most of the downloads came from the US, which accounted for 62 million installs.
That’s all for my list of Disney+ demographics and usage statistics in 2022.
Disney+ has reached 100 million subscribers remarkably quickly, achieving the milestone within 16 months of launch.
The streaming service has plans to rival industry giants like Netflix (which currently still boasts more than double the number of subscribers). It will be interesting to follow the Disney+ story over the coming months and years.
Now I want to hear from you:
Do you have any questions or thoughts about the Disney+ streaming service? How do you think the platform stacks up against competitors?
Don’t hesitate to get in touch via the comments section below.