This is a complete list of up-to-date Instagram marketing stats.
In this new list you’ll find stats on:
- Video on Instagram
- Instagram Stories
- User growth
- Lots more
So without further ado, let’s get right into the Instagram statistics on this list.
- Instagram Engagement Statistics
- Video on Instagram Stats
- Instagram Stories Statistics
- Instagram Demographics
- Instagram Marketing Benchmarks & Trends
- Instagram Hashtags Stats
- Instagram Advertising Statistics
Instagram Engagement Statistics
Engagement is one of the main reasons that marketers LOVE Instagram. Unlike Facebook and Twitter, engagement on Instagram is increasing.
- Instagram’s median engagement rate is 1.6%. THat’s 17x higher than Facebook posts and 33x higher than a Tweet (Rival IQ)
- The best times to post on Instagram are Wednesdays at 11am or Fridays between 10am and 11am (Sprout Social)
- Instagram posts that include faces receive 38% more likes than those without faces (Georgia Tech)
- A 2018 study found that Higher Education outperformed every other industry in terms of post engagement (Rival IQ)
- The same study found that posting more frequently on Instagram is not correlated with higher engagement (Rival IQ)
- Instagram is currently testing removing like counts and the like button altogether in Canada, New Zealand and other countries (Business Insider)
- Every tagged user in an Instagram post brings an additional 0.5-1 likes (Mention)
- A total of 4.2 billion likes occur on Instagram each day (Smash Social)
Video on Instagram Stats
Stories. Video posts. IGTV. There’s no question that video on Instagram is blowing up right now. But do videos work better than images? If so, how do they compare? These stats about video on Instagram has you covered.
- Instagram has seen an 80% increase in the time that users spend watching video on the platform (Instagram)
- Instagram videos receive twice the engagement of photos on Instagram (AdWeek)
- Videos posted to Instagram receive 21.2% higher engagement than single photos, and 18.6% more engagement than carousels (Sprout Social)
- Video posts on Instagram generate more than double the amount of comments of image posts (Mention)
Instagram Stories Statistics
Social media marketing pros know that Stories are one of the best ways to boost engagement on Instagram. After all, you have to watch them within 24 hours… or they’re gone for good. And, as you’ll see from these new stats, there’s data to back up the fact that stories should be part of your marketing efforts on this social network.
- 68% of Instagram users who are millennials watch Stories through the platform, compared to 49% on Snapchat (Digiday)
- 33% of the most viewed stories on Instagram are created by businesses (Instagram)
- Over 500 million accounts on Instagram are viewing Stories daily (Instagram)
- 55.4% of Instagram influencers use Stories for sponsored campaigns (eMarketer)
- The most popular Face Filter on Instagram Stories is Heart Eyes (Instagram)
- 60% of businesses who use Instagram Stories include an interactive element (hashtag, @mention or poll sticker) in at least one of their Stories every month (Instagram)
With over 1 billion users, it’s no secret that Instagram is used by people from all over the world. Question is: What country is Instagram most popular in? And what age group uses Instagram the most? If you guessed “The US” and “Teenagers”, you’re right.
- The U.S. (110 million), Brazil (70 million), and India (69 million) are the top 3 countries with Instagram users (Statista)
- 37% of American adults use Instagram (Pew Research)
- 72% of U.S. teenagers use Instagram (Pew Research)
- The largest group of Instagram users is 25-34 year olds, who make up 25.2% of all Instagrammers (Statista)
- Roughly 25% of smartphone users worldwide are on Instagram (eMarketer)
Instagram Marketing Benchmarks & Trends
Now it’s time to cover a bunch of Instagram Marketing stats that show how people use the platform, who they follow, and how marketers use Instagram to get more traffic, leads, sales and exposure for their business.
- Instagram boasts over 1 billion monthly active users (Instagram)
- 60% of all Instagram accounts visit the social platform on a daily basis (Pew Research)
- 80% of people on Instagram follow a business (Instagram)
- 68% of weekly Instagram users visit the platform to interact with creators (Instagram)
- 42% of U.S. women who are on Instagram say that shopping a hobby (Instagram)
- 72% of Instagram users report having made a product purchase after seeing it on the app (Business Insider)
- A whopping 100+ million photos and videos are shared on Instagram daily (Omnicore)
- Over 150 million people use Instagram Direct to communicate directly with a business each month (Instagram)
- There are over 25 million business profiles on Instagram (Instagram)
- Over 200 million Instagram users visit one or more business profiles each day (Instagram)
- 73% of marketers are actively using Instagram (Social Media Examiner)
- 8% of all Instagram users have more than 50,000 followers (Mention)
- Nearly 70% of Instagrammers have less than 1,000 followers (Mention)
- Major brands post to Instagram an average of 1.5 times each day (Buffer)
- U.S. Android users who use Instagram spend an average of 53 each day on the app (Vox)
- 50% of people who use Instagram use the Explore feature each month (Instagram)
- The heart emoji was the most widely used emoji on Instagram comments in 2018 (Instagram)
- Instagram is the second most important social platform for marketers, behind only Facebook (Social Media Examiner)
- 69% of marketers plan on increasing activity on organic Instagram over the next 12 months (Social Media Examiner)
Instagram Hashtags Stats
Do hashtags help or hurt engagement? Well, there’s a theory out there that hashtags can help you show up in the “Explore” feature. Let’s see if the data supports using hashtags on IG.
- In a study conducted by mention, they found no correlation between the number of hashtags on a post and engagement (Mention)
- The top 3 hashtags used on Instagram are #love, #instagood, and #fashion (Mention)
- The top B2B hashtags are #quotes, #video, #picture, and #work (Mention)
- Posts with high engagement have an average of 5.44 hashtags (Mention)
- The most commonly hashtagged food across the world is pizza (Telegraph)
Instagram Advertising Statistics
IG Ads are the hot new thing in the digital marketing world. This shouldn’t come as a surprise: Instagram is “stealing” time and attention away from platforms like Facebook. And considering advertisers need to go where their potential customers are, chances are they’re spending tons of time on IG.
- Over 2 million advertisers are actively using Instagram (Instagram)
- The average cost-per-click by age across Instagram ads is around $0.70-$0.80 (AdEspresso)
- Cost-per-click is more expensive for females than males (AdEspresso)
- iOS devices have the highest cost-per-click (AdEspresso)
- Instagram’s ad revenue is expected to reach 30% of Facebook’s total ad revenue (Vox)
- 38% of marketers regularly use Instagram’s ad platform (Social Media Examiner)
That’s it for this list of Instagram marketing statistics.
Now I’d like to hear from you:
Which stat from this list surprised you the most?
Or maybe you have a stat that I didn’t include here.
Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below.